Sunday, March 3, 2013

Violin 3/3/13

You may or may not know that I have taken up the violin again.  After about 9 or 10 years of not really taking it out of the case I suddenly came across the will and the time to love it.  :-)  

Of course that process involved me rehairing my bow since all the hairs had decided to explode in those 10 years (I can't blame them).  I debated whether or not I should hop right back to where I was when I left it but decided to essentially start straight back at square zero so that I would be wouldn't be accidentally picking up bad habits.  And really I am glad for the easy songs right now.  Also, my Suzuki books which are phenomenal really are only meant for those who have tutors helping them out and letting them know how things are supposed to sound etc... so that was not going to work.  I still don't have the money or time to shell out to one of those. 

 


After a lot of research I came across the ABCs of Violin for the Absolute Beginner Book 1 which fit the bill exactly.  I could not be more pleased with it!  It is fast paced but very clear, the songs are fun and not terribly short or boring and dull like many of the books I learned on so many years ago.   And the frosting is that it includes a CD with all of the songs as they should sound on violin and also includes a piano accompaniment without violin if you want to feel extra fancy. 

Since I live in an apartment building I also thought I should try to find something that would make the neighbors not want to call the cops every night for noise violations.  If you have ever been in the same room as a person playing the violin, especially learning to play the violin, you know what I mean.  Those screeches can certainly sound like the dying exclamations of a rabid cat.  I did not know if something like that existed but I was so excited when I found the Glaesel Violin Ultra Practice Mute.  It is perfect.  It dulls down the sound I would say 40 to 50%.  The neighbors have not complained yet. :-)  Anyway, this video is after me practicing after a couple weeks.  I wanted to post these so that anyone who watches this could give me tips since I don't have a teacher of my own.

Now the danger is that I am trying to convince my mom to bring over the keyboard that she has at her place that I used to practice on when I was very young and I want to get Alfred's Basic All-In-One Piano Course Book 1.  Does anybody else that I am insane?



~Do What Brings You Joy!

G

No comments:

Post a Comment