Saturday, December 10, 2011

My First Sewing Machine Project

Okay.  I know.  I know.  It has been a while.  I've been busy...you know...Medical school (with a capital M) eats up quite a bit of a person's time.  But fortunately I had the forethought to be done with my surgery and internal medicine rotations right away and before the start of the holidays.  P.s. Having your birthday on Thanksgiving is pretty nice actually.  Even though I did not leave the kitchen for two days. :-P  But I digress.  
I have been wanting to be more crafty for....years.  Seriously.  No lie.  And to be entirely honest I was sick of continuing to put things off because of school.  So the second I got out of my Surgery exam in October I ran to my local Micheal's and grabbed a bunch of balls of yarn and ordered a few crochet patterns from Amazon.com and finished up a fantastic bright and yellow project which hopefully someday I will have the time to elaborate on.  But after I finished that I wanted to expand my horizons!  I already knew how the basics of crochet but there are so many more beautiful clothing pieces that you can create via knitting.  But really the idea of having to size to really fit a person is so intimidating.  Its not like you can cut and paste like with sewing.  Which brought me to this current project.  Sewing up a bag.  


I spent hours just looking up a pattern that I loved (eventually deciding on an Ann Butler design -- contact me if you want more details), then spent even MORE hours looking up fabrics that I thought would work well.  By the way, I discovered that if you are looking for a specific style of fabric and not just a color scheme, Fabric.com is excellent and their prices are many times cheaper than your local fabric stores.  You just have to have the patience and time to wait for it to come in the mail.  Which fortunately, because of school, I have lots of time. :-P And my mommy was so kind as to loan me her old Singer sewing machine that is at least 30 years old.  It has a few broken parts but it certainly gets the job done.  Maybe one of these days I'll get one of my own!

Okay, so I finally get this in the mail --> 


The bottom two are the fabrics I used for this bag project.  The white on top is a thicker muslin that also was used to thicken up and strengthen the bag.  The oranges are for a separate project.  I just didn't think to separate them for the photo.  Oops. 


 In any case, cutting alone took so much longer than I expected.  Then after lots of ironing and arranging, the fun finally began.





And here is the final project! It is a lot bigger than I expected.  Maybe would look more proportional on a taller/bigger person.  But I'm happy with it.  A little labor of love. ^_^


Oh, and did I tell you there are a million pockets inside of it!  Yay!

I already have so many other projects in mind.  Its ridiculous.  But I guess you will just have to wait around and see what happens next! 

Do what brings you joy ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment